Church of San Tommaso Apostolo
Chiesa di San Tommaso Apostolo
The church was born as a hermitage out of the village, but it is known that in 1605 it was a parish church and included a Confraternity dedicated to the Madonna del Rosario.
The church is preceded by a yard, more elevated than the Corso. It is simple and small; its interior is barrel-vaulted, and soberly decorated. On its left there is a chapel belonging to the Confraternity. The chapel hosts a statue of the Lady of the Rosary, largely venerated in town. The tall bell tower, built during the 19th century, is also remarkable, and is the main distinguishing element of the town landscape.
After the big earthquake of 1980, the church underwent some restoration works, ended in 1991. Francesco Cossiga, President of the Republic at that time, visited the re-opened church.
Confr. Maria SS. del Rosario [Comune di Paolisi]
A few words about the Confraternity.
Chiesa di San Tommaso [Laboratorio GIS, UniversitÓ di Trieste]
Some words of description of the exterior of the church.