Paolisi

Capo 'e Vascio

After having met the junction with Via Ferrari, that divides the historical centre of Paolisi into two portions, the main road takes the name of Via Roma and traverses the Capo 'e Vascio, the lower half of Paolisi. Even though parts of it have been inhabited since remote ages, nearly nothing remains of the original buildings after the massive reconstruction works that took place from the 17th century onwards. The upper class housing is, indeed, the prevailing element of the landscape.

Tirone-Fuccio Building

Palazzo Tirone-Fuccio

This building probably used to be the biggest and most luxurious of the upper class residences in Paolisi. It takes its name from the two families that, respectively, built it at the beginning of the 20th century and own it nowadays. Its style is mainly neoclassical, but featuring Liberty decorations as well, and inspired several other constructions in town.
Unfortunately the building was severely damaged by the 1980 earthquake, and afterwards restored without any accuracy. In particular the uppermost part of the front got lost, together with the painted walls that characterized both the internal courtyard and the main rooms. But it is still preserving part of its majesty.
A marble on the front of the building reminds that this was the birthplace of Nicola Tirone, a local politician who left a good memory of himself. Risorse ambientali [Comune di Paolisi]

The main source for the facts about Tirone Building explained here.

Altered perspective of the front This distorted picture of Tirone building enhances the bulk of the building, almost impossible to perceive with unaided eye as the street is too narrow. Even if partly spoilt by the restorations, the front preserves its symmetry, said to be inspired by the work of Vanvitelli in this region (e.g. the Church of Annunziata in Airola and the Royal Palace of Caserta). It is vertically divided into 5 portions, with the main portal in the middle, surrounded by 6 minor entrances to the rooms on the ground floor, whose usage was meant to be—and still is—primarily commercial. The upper floor features, correspondingly, 7 windows accessing to the balconies. The middle and side ones are marked by lesenes and topped by tympana, and give access to separate balconies of their own. The remaining ones, instead, are only topped by cornices, and share a balcony in couples. Note the upper level of the building, rebuilt without compliance of the previous structure.
Vaults of the entrance The main entrance of the building gives access to an environment topped by three vaults, leading to the middle courtyard and featuring a staircase to the upper floor to the left. The decorations on the vaults are the only remaining ones of the building. Middle balcony with the marble to Nicola Tirone The richest part of the front is middle section of the upper level. The tympanum-topped balcony is surrounded by couples of Corinthian-inspired lesenes, which feature additional floral and humanoid motifs. The courtyard The courtyard has lost most of its original fashion. There were two fountains, with Liberty style frescoes inspired by the Pompeii ones. The main surviving element here are the Ionic style columns holding the top floor.
View of Via Roma from Gallo-Gemma House (on the left) Gallo-Gemma House lies just opposite Tirone Building. It dates back to 1733 and features a simple stone portal together with some other decorations, including the family's coat of arms. The façade of the Church of Sant'Andrea is visible at the bottom. View of Vico Nuzzilli Except for the bigger building on the front, Vico Nuzzilli is an alley characterized by modest housing, and possibly retained its original plan. Baroque balcony of Romano House The town hall of Paolisi, formerly Ferraro House

Church of Sant'Andrea Apostolo

Chiesa di Sant'Andrea Apostolo

It is the main church of the town. Even if nothing in its look reveals an ancient origin—the church we see today was built in the 18th century—its first mention dates back to the year 962: it used to belong to the monastery of Montecassino, when an abbot gave it in use to a local priest. It is mentioned again only in 1581.
The church is very simple. It has a unique nave with a main altar and 6 smaller ones on the two sides. It also features a chapel on its left, with external access; whereas, on its right, is a graceful square, called Piazza Vittorio Veneto, on which the parsonage is facing. Parrocchia Santi Apostoli Andrea e Tommaso

Paolisi's Parish website

Front view Very simple ornaments characterize the façade of the church, topped by a small bell tower with a clock. The front of the chapel on the left is slightly more elaborated, featuring some stuccoes. Interior
The painting decorating the barrel vault The parsonage, facing Piazza Vittorio Veneto
Statue of St. Thomas, and the main altar in the background Both the altar and the balustrade delimiting the chancel are notable works in marble. The altar, with a statue of the Virgin Mary, is a private donation from some Michele Petrella, as stated on the altar itself. A crucifix above a marble side altar Two of the paintings hung under the vault At the two extremes of the vault are hung portraits of the Apostles. The two pictured here are Saint John and Saint Mark.
Petrella House Palazzo Petrella was built at the beginning of the 20th century at the corner between Via Roma and Piazza Vittorio Veneto; differently from other buildings, its decorations have been entirely realized in tuff stone, therefore covering the façade in plaster was unnecessary. The side facing the Piazza features this notable decorated portal. Painted votive niche within the wall of a minor house A minor portal giving access to popular houses
Bifani Building To some extent the neoclassical Palazzo Bifani, built at the end of the 19th century, is the symbol of Paolisi, probably because its corner position enhances its relevance in the landscape. It exterior look is similar to the one of Palazzo Petrella, and of other buildings in the Capo 'e Copp', but the general result is more solemn. The building includes an orchard at its back. A tight row of houses on Via Roma This portion of Via Roma, between Bifani and Bove building, is possibly the original core of the Capo 'e Vascio. Similarly as for the Capo 'e 'Copp', the reason is the regular, modular subdivision of the properties and the buildings on both sides of the road, that suggests a planning in Roman times.
The yellow house on the left is Inglese House.
Via delle Magnolie, looking towards the mountains and the garden of Palazzo Inglese

Bove House

Palazzo Bove

Palazzo Bove dates back to the 18th century. It is remembered as the birthplace of Francesco Bove, member of the Italian Parliament from 1865 to 1876.
The building is not too big and a long period of abandonment notably spoilt it, but the abundance of valuable ornaments on the front is still evident. Apart from the neoclassical inspiration—the Corinthian lesenes in particular—the most notable elements are the bulky wooden shutters and the cornices of the windows, held by mithological figures. Palazzo Bove [Laboratorio GIS, Università di Trieste]

The only source about the building

Middle balcony The metal balustrades of the front balconies are notably involved. Even the two corners between the main portal and the middle balcony were decorated, as this picture shows.
Front of the building with the Inglese arch Bove House features a decorated main portal, with 2 minor entrances on each side, framed in stone. The upper floor features 3 balconies and 2 side windows on the front, plus a small terrace on the right.
Attached to the building is a stone portal whose top inscription specifies it belonged to the Inglese family. It is not part of a building but leads to a private courtyard.
Mithological figures supporting the cornices of the windows
Copyright 2014 Antonio De Capua