The historical via Campanina
that branches out from the Appian Way, to catch it again near Avellino, here takes the name of Corso Girolamo Del Balzo
and leads from Paolisi to the old centre of Rotondi, passing through a neighbourhood named Botteghelle, literally meaning 'the workshops'. This road is indeed characterized by housing built during the last 2 or 3 centuries, with the main purpose of exploiting their position on the main road for trading agricultural and handcrafted goods. South of the road, more uphill, are located several of the old casali
of Rotondi, but they have been completely rebuilt. After taking to the main square, the Corso goes on towards Cervinara.
Houses along the Corso at Botteghelle
The Corso in the direction of Maietta House
Palazzo Maietta (see below) is located along the Corso, but its position looks like the end of it. The abandoned building in tuff stone, on the left, is Palazzo Gallo (1934).
Maietta and Kollarzic houses
The notable Kollarzic House, built in 1854, is now abandoned.
dates back to the 17th century, and belongs to a family that used to be one of the most notable ones of Rotondi. The building is located in a curve of Corso Girolamo del Balzo, in such a way that it faces the street both with a small front and with a longer side. Just behind this longer wall there is an irregularly shaped court, paved in stone, and featuring an old fountain with three stone basins.
The front of the building, instead, features the main portal and a window. They are both framed with finely carved stones, dating back to 1794.
Rotondi [CMP Partenio-Vallo di Lauro]
This page includes a small photo gallery: the first and the last pictures were taken in the courtyard of Maietta House.
The front and the gateway to the garden
The decorations of the portal and the front window
The carved stones framing the portal culminate with the coat of arms of the Maietta family and the name of the man that had this stone portal realized, Domenico Maietta.
Scarcella Building (1920) with its front garden
Ilario House with its courtyard (1896)
This building lies along Corso Girolamo del Balzo, close to the main square. It is characterized by a two-storey arcade facing the courtyard, closely recalling the residential architecture of Naples.
A small square on the way to Cervinara
The core of the old centre of Rotondi is Piazza Vittorio Emanuele
, formerly Piazza Grande
—its size is indeed notable for a small centre like Rotondi. It was set up around the 16th century as the town market place, and once hosted the church of San Sebastiano and the marquises' palace, both disappeared. The square also gives access from via Campanina
to the countryside.
The clock tower located at the bottom of Piazza Vittorio Emanuele was originally the bell tower of the church of San Sebastiano; it is nowadays sort of a symbol of Rotondi. It was built in stone in the 17th century; the clock, instead, dates back to 1911. In 1920 a marble stone was attached to it, listing the names of people from Rotondi dead during the first world war.
In an age that is unknown to me, the church has been torn down and replaced with a modern building hosting a bank. The original plan included removal of the tower as well, but the population took a firm position against that.
Old photo of the church [Facebook]
The clock tower at the bottom of the square
The building on the left is Palazzo Maiello (1878). Behind the clock tower is the building replacing the old church.
The top of the clock tower
The entire tower is nowadays covered in plaster and stuccoes.
Behind the main square there is an area gathering the public facilities of Rotondi: the school, the town hall, the post office, and a nice Public garden
), regularly frequented by the locals. The garden is entirely covered by trees, and features a pond (mostly unused) and a couple of remarkable memorials.